UPDATED (noon): ASD school closures and event cancellations for Thursday, Feb. 9
February 9, 2012
Contact: Heidi Embley
Phone: (907) 742-4158
The following schools and bus routes are canceled for Thursday, Feb. 9 due to extremely icy and unsafe driving conditions:
- All Chugiak and Eagle River area schools
- South High
- Service High
- Goldenview Middle
- Hanshew Middle
- Bear Valley Elementary
- O'Malley Elementary
- Huffman Elementary
- Trailside Elementary
- Rabbit Creek Elementary
- Spring Hill Elementary
- Girdwood K-8 School
- Rilke Schule Charter School Added 6:20 a.m.
All bus routes, including special education, with pick-ups in Chugiak and Eagle River for transport to Anchorage schools are canceled today.
All other schools and bus routes are operating a normal schedule today, including elementary schools located on JBER.
Staff at the above-listed schools should follow normal district closure procedures. Staff should proceed cautiously where schools and offices are open.
Added 6:30 a.m. We recognize that some staff members live in different parts of town from where they work. They are encouraged to make a work decision based on what is best for their safety and to touch base with their school regarding their decision.
Everyone is encouraged to exercise caution and schools will work with families on excused absences as needed.
Activities below have been canceled (updated noon):
- O'Malley Elementary Friday field trip to Kenai
- Title VII all staff workshop
- Elementary and middle school Battle of the Books competitions are canceled but will be rescheduled for another time
- KCC Third Session
- East High School field trip to Homer
- Girls C-team basketball - ERHS at CHS
- Middle school wrestling matches: Gruening, Hanshew and Mirror Lake at Goldenview (see matches that continue below)
- All after-school practices and events at schools that are closed Thursday
- Mears Middle School field trip to Seward on Friday
Activities below will continue as scheduled (updated noon):
- State high school hockey tournament in Wasilla for Dimond, Chugiak, Service and South
- Girls varsity basketball – CHS at ACS
- Middle school wrestling matches; Wendler at Begich; Romig, Central and Clark at Mears. Note the new location for Clark’s match
- All after-school practices and events at schools that are open today
- Honor choir rehearsal at Begich Middle School. Note that practice is not mandatory tonight
- 21st Century Community Learning Center programs
- Anchorage School Board special meeting on the budget at 5 p.m.
- Parent University: Math Night at Central Middle School of Science
Added 7:30 a.m.
For those schools that are closed today, Camp Fire will offer full-day programs at the following designated snow-day sites:
For Eagle River schools - Homestead Elementary
For south Anchorage schools that are closed - Spring Hill Elementary
These programs are open to students currently enrolled in Camp Fire.
Go to the District News Archive