Sports and activities
Participating in middle school sports and activities
A $110 activity fee per ASD-sponsored sport is required unless:
- a student applies for and receives a fee waiver based on hardship through the school activity office
- or a family meets the $390 cap* for middle or high school activity fees.
*A family cap will be implemented once the students in a family have paid $390 to participate in activities including any combination of middle and high school activities.
Online payment of fees can be made using the Zangle student information system.
Middle school students may participate in interscholastic and intramural athletics and a variety of academic and recreational activities. Students who would like to participate in interscholastic and intramural sports must:
- be enrolled as a full-time student in the Anchorage School District (four or more classes)
- have an Activity participation form signed by a parent/guardian for each sport (scaled for 8.5x14, copies available at each school).
- have a current sports physical on file with the school; this exam is good for one year from date of issue
- complete a concussion baseline test prior to participation.
In order to practice or play in a game, a student must be in attendance at school a minimum of one-half day, except for extenuating circumstances (such as a school field trip) approved by an administrator.
How to register
When registering to participate in an activity please have the following:
- Health Exam form signed by doctor, student and parent/guardian. Health exams are good for one year and must be current through the season of the sport.
- Fee Waiver form if requesting a waiver
- Middle School Activity Participation form filled out by parent and student to give consent to participate in activities.
- Concussion fact sheet and parent acknowledgement form
- includes Activity Sponsors' Handbook and Athletics information
- Refund form - Please bring this to the activity clerk at your school if seeking refund of an activity fee.
Alaska law requires school districts to have a program for the prevention and management of concussions in student athletes. See the documents below for an overview of ASD's program, concussion information, required forms and more.