About Surveys and Policies
All student surveys that take place within Anchorage School District (ASD) require prior approval from the Accountability Department. The only exception is student surveys conducted for classroom projects which will not be published in any form and which do not touch on the eight protected areas listed below.
Most student surveys administered at ASD do not require parent permission. However, federal/state laws and School Board policy have requirements for parent consent for surveys that inquire into personal or private family affairs of the eight protected areas.
ASD surveys are administered in compliance with federal and state laws and School Board policy:
The Federal Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA), 20 U.S.C § 1232h, requires ASD to notify you and obtain consent to allow your student to participate in a student survey, analysis, or evaluation that concerns one or more of the following eight areas:
1. Political affiliations or beliefs of the student or student’s parent;
2. Mental or psychological problems of the student or student’s family;
3. Sex behavior or attitudes;
4. Illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating, or demeaning behavior;
5. Critical appraisals of others with whom the student has close family relationships;
6. Legally recognized privileged relationships, such as with lawyers, doctors, or ministers;
7. Religious practices, affiliations, or beliefs of the student or parents; or
8. Income, other than as required by law to determine program eligibility.
Under Alaska law, AS 14.03.110, and School Board policy:
Parental permission is required for surveys that inquire into personal or private family affairs of the student not a matter of public record or subject to public observation.
• Parents/guardians may provide annual permission for their student to participate in anonymous surveys requiring parental consent.
• For all surveys requiring permission, parents will be provided notice and an opportunity to review the survey at least two weeks in advance of the administration
Survey request form can be found here.