Eligibility & FAQs
Medical insurance and life insurance benefit eligibility, and the opportunity to participate in the Flexible Spending Account program vary based on the contractual requirements for newly hired employees in each employee group.
The employee groups table below shows the benefits eligibility waiting period for newly hired employees beginning their employment with the Anchorage School District.
Current Anchorage School District employees who are transferring between employee groups, are changing their number of work hours, or are returning from an extended leave of absence may have different benefit eligibility waiting periods. Current employees must be in paid status or on Family Medical Leave the first working day of the month to retain their benefits for that month. Paid status means actively working or on approved paid leave for their entire regularly budgeted hours. Please contact the ASD Benefits Department for information at 907-742-4200.
Employees and/or qualified dependents losing Aetna health insurance coverage are entitled to continue the ASD group heath care benefits for up to 36 months (depending on your qualifying event) by paying the full cost of the plan.
If you enrolled a dependent child and they no longer meet the eligibility requirements, please contact the Benefits Department for insurance rates, to request a COBRA packet or any other processing assistance.
For employees in the AEA (Teachers), Local 71 (Custodians) or Teamsters 959 (Bus) groups, please contact your respective health plan administrators for COBRA information available under your insurance plan.
|Employee group||Covered employees||New hire eligibility waiting period|
|ACE||Non-exempt management and technical employees||First day of the month following a 60 calendar day waiting period.|
|AEA||Teachers||First day of the month following your date of employment. If your hire date is the first working day of the month, you are eligible the first day of that month.|
|APA||Principals||First day of the month following a 60 calendar day waiting period.|
|Exempt||Exempt employees||First day of the month following a 60 calendar day waiting period.|
|Local 71||Hourly custodians||First day of the month following a 60 calendar day waiting period.|
|Non-represented||Non-represented employees||First day of the month following a 60 calendar day waiting period.|
|Teamsters Bus||Hourly bus drivers and bus attendants||First day of the month following your date of employment. If your hire date is the first working day of the month, you are eligible the first day of that month.|
|Teamsters Food Service||Hourly student nutrition employees||First day of the month following a 60 calendar day waiting period.|
|Teamsters Maintenance||Hourly maintenace/warehouse employees||First day of the month following a 60 calendar day waiting period.|
|TOTEM||Hourly clerical/teacher assistant employees||First day of the month following a 60 calendar day waiting period.|
- Do I have to elect retirement?
- Yes, participation is mandatory for all eligible regular full time employees and for regular Part-time employees scheduled to work at least 15 hours per week.
- Which retirement system will I be participating in?
- TRS - Teacher Retirement System (http://doa.alaska.gov/drb/retirement/)
- Certificated employees, FTE 50 percent to 100 percent, are covered for retirement benefits as outlined in the applicable statutes related to TRS. The district and the employee make contributions to TRS. The following employee groups are covered:
- Certificated employees FTE 0.40 to 0.49 are covered under PERS
- ACE (Certificated)
- Exempt (Certificated)
- Non-represented (Certificated)
- Classified employees who work at least 15 hours per week are covered for retirement benefits as outlined in the applicable statutes related to PERS. The district and the employee make contributions to PERS. The following employee groups are covered:
- ACE (Classified)
- Local 71 (Custodians)
- Teamsters Local 959 Food service
- Teamsters Local 959 Bus drivers and attendants
- Teamsters Local 959 Maintenance/warehouse
- Exempt (Classified)
- Non-represented (Classified)
- Which retirement plan will I be in?
- Defined Benefits Plan
- For employees who first entered PERS or TRS prior to July 1, 2006
- The defined benefit plan is designed to offer a lifetime monthly benefit once retirement eligibility is reached. Retirement benefit from the plan, provided you do not refund your contributions, will be determined by a formula defined in statute. Unlike a defined contribution account, the benefit is not based on the amount of money in the contribution account, but rather on years of service with the retirement system.
- For employees who first entered PERS or TRS on or after July 1, 2006
- The Alaska PERS/TRS Defined Contribution Retirement Plan is a defined contribution plan governed by section 401(a) of the Internal Revenue Code. A portion of the employee's wages and an employer contribution are made to this plan pre-tax. These contributions, plus any changes in value (interest, gains and losses), minus any plan administrative fees or other charges are payable to the employee or their beneficiary at a future date. The PERS/TRS DCR Plan is a participant-directed plan with investment options offered by the plan. As part of the plan, the participant will be automatically enrolled with Great West Retirement Services. The providers of the investment options were selected by the Alaska Retirement Management (ARM) Board. The DCR Plan provides the option of selecting a retirement planning strategy based on the participant's comfort level in the investment market.
- Who is covered by the District’s health plan package?
- The District’s health plan package is for eligible ACE, APA, Exempt, Food Service, Maintenance, Non-Represented, School Board and Totem members. Eligible AEA, Bus and Local 71 Custodians are covered through their individual Trusts.
- How do I contact my Trust?
- Contact information for members of the Bus, AEA and Local 71 Custodians Trusts can be found on the Contacts page on the Benefits website: http://www.asdk12.org/benefits/contacts/
- Who are our health, dental and vision carriers?
- Our health insurance carrier is Aetna. Dental and vision are administered by MetLife. For detailed information about our benefit programs, please visit the Current Benefits page on the Benefits website: http://www.asdk12.org/benefits/currentbenefits/
- Are our deductibles for health and dental based on a Fiscal Year or a calendar year?
- Our deductibles are based on a calendar year.
- When can I make changes to my benefits?
- You can make changes to your benefits during Open Enrollment (typically held in May), or as a result of a Qualifying Event. A Qualifying Event includes birth or adoption of a child, marriage, divorce, death of a dependent or loss of coverage and must be done within 30 days of those events. For additional information see the Current Benefits page on the Benefits website: http://www.asdk12.org/benefits/currentbenefits/
- How do I elect Supplemental and/or Dependent Life Insurance?
- If applicable, Supplement and/or Dependent Life Insurance can be elected as a new hire or during the District’s Open Enrollment period (typically held in May). For additional information see the Current Benefits page on the Benefits website: http://www.asdk12.org/benefits/currentbenefits/