Capital Planning & Construction
Gladys Wood Elementary School Renewal & Construction
Gladys Wood is located on a 8.78-acre site. The school was originally built in 1970 with 18 classrooms, a library and Gym/MPR. Six additional classrooms and a Gym were added in 1984. The school has two relocatables to serve its student population. The existing classrooms and library are open and do not provide acoustical control between adjacent areas and circulation spaces. The existing walls are movable partitions or created by using storage cabinets. There are a number of facility systems beyond their rated life expectancy.
In April 2014, voters approved $1M bond funding for planning and design. With this funding, the school district hired McCool Carlson and Green to develop a Project Analysis Report (PAR) that provided details and options for a comprehensive renewal project. Based on the school board approved PAR option, voters approved $17.75M bond funding in April 2015 to complete the design and construction of Gladys Wood Elementary School Renewal project.
The Gladys Wood renewal project includes:
- New building additions for classrooms, art, music, administration, and storage (7,000 sf)
- Remove operable partition walls and enclose classrooms
- Size all classrooms to meet education specification
- Add restrooms to kindergarten classrooms
- Improve parking lot accessibility, access to relocatable classrooms, hard surface play area, and playground accessibility
- Includes abatement of hazardous materials throughout the building
- Renews or replaces mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and system controls
Construction is scheduled to start in June 2016 and the project is scheduled to be completed by August 2017.