Health and PE
Comprehensive Health and Physical Education
As part of the Anchorage School District’s initiative to prepare students to function optimally as global citizens and workers, the Health and Physical Education Department focuses on taking personal responsibility for one’s health through an active, healthy lifestyle that fosters a lifelong commitment to wellness.
Mission: Knowledge of health and physical education concepts and skills empowers students to assume lifelong responsibility to develop physical, social, and emotional wellness.
Vision: A quality comprehensive health and physical education program fosters a population that:
Health and Physical Education
- Maintains physical, social, and emotional health by practicing healthy behaviors and goal setting.
- Engages in a physically active lifestyle.
- Is knowledgeable about health and wellness and how to access health resources.
- Recognizes the influence of media, technology, and culture in making informed health-related decisions as a consumer of health products and services.
- Practices effective cross-cultural communication, problem solving, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Is accepting and respectful of individual and cultural differences.
- Advocates for personal, family, community, and global wellness and is knowledgeable about national and international public health and safety issues.
Health Education is the combination of learning experiences designed to provide students with the opportunity to acquire information and the skills needed to make quality health enhancing decisions.
Physical Education aims to develop students’ physical competence, knowledge, confidence and skills, especially those of collaboration, communication, and critical thinking, through a wide range of activities that nurture positive values and attitudes providing a good foundation for a healthy lifestyle.