About Professional Learning
The Professional Learning Department includes the areas of Training and Professional Development, Educational Technology and Social Emotional Learning. We provide support to schools and departments in developing, implementing and evaluating professional learning opportunities for all employees within the school district. Here's a concept map of all ASD-PLD Projects.
The Professional Learning Department helps the school district meet Destination 2020 goals by
- Supporting high-quality professional development that is designed to improve the effectiveness of classroom instruction
- Enable all individuals to grow professionally
- Introduce practitioners to the practical applications of research-based strategies and social emotional learning
- Assist teachers implementing new technology and teaching strategies aligned to the Common Core State Standards
- Support early career teachers and administrators
Every Anchorage School District employee engages in continuous professional growth so every student achieves.
(Adopted from Learning Forward)
- Effective professional learning is fundamental to student learning.
- All ASD employees have an obligation to improve their practice.
- More students achieve when educators assume collective responsibility for student learning.
- Successful leaders create and sustain a culture of learning.
- Improving student learning and professional practice requires ongoing systematic organizational change.